Tanjore - Schwartz Church

Home
History
General Information
How to Get There
Travel Information
Hotels Restaurants
Emergency Numbers
Hospitals
Banks
Schools
Colleges
Tamil University
Recreation
Tanjore Painting
Location Map
City Map

Bragatheeswarar Temple
Royal Museum
Shivaganga Fort
Royal Palace
Saraswathi Mahal
Other Tourist Places
Schwartz Church
Nearest Tourist Places
Schwartz Church
The 18th-century Christ Church or Schwartz Church a legacy of Tanjore colonial past, stands to the east of the Shivanganga Tank. This church was founded by the Danish missionary, Reverend Frederik Christian Schwartz, in 1779. When he died in 1798, the enlightened Maratha ruler, Serfoji II, donated a striking marble tablet, made by John Flaxman and this has been placed at the western end of the church. It depicts the dying missionary blessing his royal patron, surrounded by ministers and pupils from the school that he established.

Home
History
General Information
How to Get There
Travel Information
Hotels Restaurants
Emergency Numbers
Hospitals
Banks
Schools
Colleges
Tamil University
Recreation
Tanjore Painting
Location Map
City Map